Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Creature

A breath caught in my throat as I stood there, petrified at the sight before me.There, the creature stood , with it's horrible long feelers, staring directly at me. Before I could stop myself, I let out an astonishingly high-pitched shriek. When I regained control of my sanity again,it was still there, at the same spot, unmoved by what had just happened. It's feelers twitched just slightly, as if it was daring me to make my next move.

As I stood there rooted to the spot, I stared at the creature before me with a gaze matching it's own. In my heart, I silently willed it to roll over and die due to some incurable disease. Please, please just die or maybe just disappear I whispered. Unfortunately, my prayers were left unanswered.

It's eerily long feelers twitched some more as it crept an inch closer to me, preparing to attack. My hands nervously groped behind me, searching for a weapon. Just as it's wings started to spread out, my hands came in contact with metal- an aerosol spray. I yanked off the lid of the spray and sprayed as long and as hard as humanly possible at the advancing creature. Luckily, it started to back off and land a distance away from me.

Putting the spray down, I quickly scanned the room for a better weapon. My eyes fell on a wooden fly-swatter on the other side of the room. Well, I just have to make do with that this time, I told myself. As I edged across the room towards my new-found weapon, the creature stayed absolutely still, as if anticipating my next move.

Feeling slightly comforted with the swatter griped firmly in my hand, I crept slowly towards the creature. It still stood completely still, obviously not intimidated by me and the swatter in my hand. When the creature was within arms length, I raised the swatter and slowly took aim. Then, I shut my eyes tightly and delivered a forceful blow to where the creature supposedly was.

Swap,slap,slam
. And then complete silence. A pungent smell crept up my nostrils, making me feel slightly nauseated. I slowly opened my eyes, my heart thumping furiously, unsure what will unfold before me. Then that was it. A wave of relief swept over me as I slowly took in the scene before me- limbs were strewn around the floor, and most importantly, the creature laid there dead, unmoving.

A smile crept up my face and I started breathing normally again. I've made it again, I told myself. I've overcome my fear and defeated the creature.

I've killed a cockroach. Again.
Hooray.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

wow! nice essay! haha... pure good writer!! XD

Unknown said...

You really cant deny that she's a good writer and a straight A1s students!!! XD

Chocoholic said...

wa..that's nice? haha wrote for fun nia le..thanks anyway!

Peaches said...

O.o what'd you mean by *again*? Haha. I usually just *accidentally* drop a book on top of it... and swear never to touch said book ever again. Mwah. You're so brave.

Chocoholic said...

haha. I DUN WANNA DIRTY MY PRECIOUS BOOKS. =D not like you have too many books eh? me use weapons! hahaha